Pages

Monday, November 17, 2008

Yes I homeschool my kids, no we are not "un-schoolers" and yes we do school everyday.

Besides the overly asked question "aren't you worried about your kid's [Maximus] being able to socialize?"... "NO, NO, NO I am not; those are the answers to my next most frequent asked questions. I am often mistaken for an unschooler, because I do have a lot of unschooling tendencies. However, I do use a curriculum (but I don't let the curriculum use me). I have also learned that with homeschool, you have to have discipline and flexibility at the same time. There are things that come up from time to time, but I have enough discipline to not let those things take over. The discipline is the same discipline that it takes to get up and go to work everyday.
But I want to share my "yes I homeschool my kids" story- and this comes from a person who never dreamed of having children, never played with dolls, and never cooked a meal until years after she got married! I decided to homeschool because of the community I live in. Looking back, I am very thankful for where we are because if I would've had my choice and moved before Maximus went to school- our door for homeschool would've never opened. Since I have the opportunity to hs them, I have learned so much and realize exactly what an education is and what it means. I am not saying they couldn't get a good education in public school, but not the one that I think they deserve. I went to public school my entire school years, I always made good grades, even had perfect attendance many years and I graduated with Honors BUT I didn't go to college. When I graduated, I felt like I was released from jail. I never read a book from cover to cover until after I graduated high school. School for me was not learning, but sitting in a classroom with 4 brick walls, waiting for the bell to ring. And lastly, I hold this journey close to my heart because I don't think I'll ever look back and wish I would have spent more time with my kids.
So you may not agree and that's okay, but you are welcome to send us money for more books by clicking here... just kidding :)!!


1 comment:

  1. I’ve known several families that have home schooled. Each has a different technique, and a few had, no technique what-so-ever; so I’ve seen the results for different attempts at this style of education.

    I feel that as long as you use an “accredited” curriculum mixed with some structure, and some social activities like soccer or baseball, you’ll be fine. When your children are ready for college - more than likely - college will have change from its traditional setting too. We’re already begining to see this change. Colleges are now offering ‘online courses’.

    Your children will have already been given the skills for a disciplined college education – rather they choose to take courses in a classroom or from home.

    From what little bit of research I can find on home schooling for college bound children, they do exceptionally well. BUT, they must be able to prove that they’ve had an education; hence ‘accredited curriculum’. Without an accredited curriculum they’ll be in the same shape as the Clayton County graduating class of 2009. No accreditation equals no education; those poor students will not be receiving diplomas, and without a diploma, they can not apply for college.

    I think you have everything covered, an accredited curriculum, organized lessons, and social activities – I think your children are well on their way to becoming college graduates.

    ReplyDelete