Pages

Friday, November 21, 2008

Speaking of books and reading... did you know?

1/3 of children go to school unprepared to learn.
Approximately 61% of low-income families do not have a single piece of reading material suitable for a child.
41% of Georgia's 4th graders do not read at grade level.
Several States plan how many jail cells they will build in the future by how many children are not reading on grade level by 3rd & 4th grade.
Georgia scored 46th on SATs in 2006.
Nearly 40% of Georgia's students do not graduate from high school (we rank 49th or 50th nationally in drop outs)
1 in 4 adults in Georgia operates at a low literacy level.
Georgia spends $170 million a year on remedial education.

As I've mentioned, I've always read books to my kids and am very committed to this. We read every single day, during school, for past time and on the weekends. We love to curl up on the couch with a good book(s). I've come to have a special love for books and believe that you can learn a lot just from reading. I want my kids to have the same appreciation and not fall into any of the above categories.
Since we do not live near a library it is not convenient for us to read many books without purchasing them- which can be expensive. But I am very happy to share that we are participators in
The Ferst Foundation. Up to the age of 5, River will receive one book every month, free. Unfortunately I did not know about TFF when Maximus was of age, but trust me we all get excited when the new book comes.
These books are free and are ours (River's) to read over and over and hopefully one day pass down.
This is an awesome opportunity and I hope that I can help spread the word.

No comments:

Post a Comment