Pages

Friday, January 16, 2009

Times HAVE changed


Maximus's birthday is just around the corner and we have been talking about what he wants for his birthday and what he would like to do.

What he wants to do is go to Cartoon Network and make a cartoon, not see how a cartoon is made, but make a cartoon. And he wants a cell phone. I know what your thinking... the same thing I am thinking, he will only be 6 and what does a 6 year old need with a cell phone.

He has been asking for his own phone for a few years now. We have bought him toy phones and even given him our old cell phones, although he has enjoyed those, he still continues to ask for his own phone. I ask him, what would you do with a phone, who would you call? And of course he gave the perfect, win mama over- answer, he said "well if I got lost or if someone grabbed me I would call 911" well then he goes on with "and I can text you and tell you that I love you when you are at your homeschool meetings".

I called my BFF and said, ok would it be really ridiculous to buy a 6 yo a cell phone. I knew she would be honest without judging. Her answer was she wouldn't have bought her kids a cell at 6, but I need to think about why I wouldn't instead of why I would. Isn't that is a cool answer!

I also thought, I would have NEVER had a cell phone at 6 yo, but one reason is because I don't think there was a such in 1985, and if so, it would have looked something like this. I got my first cell phone in 1997, when I was 18 years old, it looked like #3 in the picture above, and I was so cool, but what was even cooler was when I turned 15, I got a pager. I mean is it not cool that I got paged on the way home from school riding on the school bus.

I thought about the Disney phone that was made for kids but they put an end to their cell business which made sense when I read why.
Well I am still pondering the idea as times have changed a whole lot!!!
By the way, I wouldn't buy him a phone with a contract.

No comments:

Post a Comment