Pages

Friday, January 9, 2009

Back 2 School

Its been a hectic week, for me, trying to get back in the swing of things. I have to admit, I completely expected Maximus to be disgruntle about doing his school work. On Monday morning, I told him it was time to do his school, and he was sitting at his table with his sharpened pencil calling my name. I just love this kid!
He has done SO good this week too.
Here is one thing we did, called Stone Soup.
Its an old fable about a traveler who came upon a village. As he entered, the villagers moved towards their homes locking doors and windows.
The traveler smiled and asked, why are you all so frightened. I am a simple traveler, looking for a soft place to stay for the night and a warm place for a meal.
He was told "there's not a bite to eat in the whole province, we are weak and our children are starving. Better keep moving on."
He then said "I have everything I need, in fact, I was thinking of making some stone soup to share with all of you." He pulled an iron cauldron from his cloak, filled it with water, and began to build a fire under it.

"Ahh," the traveler said to himself, "I do like a tasty stone soup. Of course, stone soup with cabbage -- that's hard to beat."
Then a villager approached, holding a small cabbage he'd retrieved from its hiding place, and added it to the pot.
. . . and so it went, through salt, pepper, potatoes, onions, carrots, celery, pasta and so on, until there was a delicious meal for everyone in the village to share.

The Moral of the story is : By working together, with everyone sharing what they have, a greater good is achieved.





No comments:

Post a Comment