Pages

Monday, December 1, 2008

Turkey Day 2008

All 7 cousins enjoying Thanksgiving with each other
Granmama Arp and her 3rd generation

Thanksgiving dinner at Pawpaw and Cathi's


I think Thanksgiving and tradition are starting to go hand in hand in our family.
Thanksgiving has always been one of my least favorite holidays. To be honest with you, I didn't know the true meaning of Thanksgiving until I started reading to and teaching my children.
Now I understand why we are supposed to give thanks and be thankful and I hope I can pass on this tradition to Maximus and River.
We had a very peaceful and relaxing holiday weekend. We weren't on a huge schedule to get here and be there just to eat turkey 3 times in one day. We weren't in any rush and was able to enjoy our family and each other. On Thursday we had Thanksgiving with Jason's grandmother- she is 92 years old. She is an amazing woman. She birthed 9 kids and raised 11. She has over 50 (Maximus was the 50th) grandchildren and great-grandchildren... and she still buys Christmas for all of them. I'm glad we were there to spend Thanksgiving with her. On Friday, the day after Thanksgiving, my dad and Cathi kept Maximus (we dropped him off at 6 am) while we went Christmas shopping. It was great to be able to do some of our shopping without having to sneak and separate from one another in the store. After we finished up shopping, we went back to their house and had Thanksgiving with them, Cathi's family and my granBarbara- all the food was soo good, but best of all it was good to have Thanksgiving with my dad again.
Saturday we put out our Christmas decorations and decorated our tree while listening to Alan Jackson's Christmas. We cooked a ham and a few fixings- which I think started a new tradition for us.
This year we have 2 trees, one for all my collected ornaments; snowmen, gingerbread men, Santa Clauses, snowballs, just things I've collected over the past few years. And the other tree is for all the ornaments that the kids make. We love pulling out all of decorations and reminiscing. My granBarbara has given me an ornament each year since 1983.
For mine and Jason's first Christmas I wanted some blinking lights, but we couldn't afford them. We only had 2 strands of lights and some cheap silver balls on our tree. We opened our blinds so we could see our bare tree from the outside and discovered if we jumped up and down, the lights looked as though they were blinking through the blinds. Now, looking back- those were some good times.
Just 24 more days till Christmas!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment