Pages

Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Bells Will Be Ringing

I am getting so excited about Christmas. It doesn't take much to get me excited or in the spirit this time of year. We've put up our trees and I love to see my boys walk around them each day just staring at the lights and ornaments with amazement.
Me and Jason have opposite memories of Christmas growing up. Most of my memories comes from tradition- things that never changed year to year.
I want my kids' hearts to be filled with wonderful memories- to past down.
When it comes to shopping for the kids, Jason and I wholeheartedly disagree. I grew up many presents under the tree and Jason didn't so he tries to work overtime during the holidays to make sure our kids have a good Christmas. I definitely want them to have a good Christmas, especially since we don't buy toys year 'round, but a few great gifts is perfect to me. One thing that I worry about is not wanting them to expect or be disappointed if the next year comes and we only have money to eat beans out of the can. So I want to keep our Christmas simple and filled with memory where money is not the big factor.
I appreciate Jason and that's one of the things that I love about him so much- is that he loves, truly loves, his family, but I'm trying to teach him too its not about quantity its about quality.
This being said, that's one of the reasons I am so big on tradition (and this comes from someone who starts her Christmas list for the next year in January :))!
Every year we drive around and see the lights- last night we went to the Todd's house on Bethlehem Church Road, you've gotta go see them- they are beautiful.
You know its Christmas time around my house when I start baking- scratch cookies and cakes, but my family begs for buckeyes so I make batches and batches of buckeyes.
On Christmas morning we have a birthday party for Jesus, with cake and we sing Happy Birthday to Him.
Every year we get new pajamas- my whole family Loves pajamas.
This year we have added the Jesse Tree and The Elf on the Shelf to our tradition. Mimi (my mom) also brought the kids over an Advent House where each day they get to open a new door and so far, get out a piece of chocolate- they love this.
I love being home for Christmas and its really the only time of the year that I don't want to be somewhere else. When I was little, me and my brother would pace the floor all day on Christmas Eve waiting to go to GranBarbara's house (my grandmother). I went there for many many years and its a memory I'll never forget.
I hope my children experience some of these same feelings.

Just 22 more days till Christmas!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment