Pages

Wednesday, June 17, 2009

WHY we choose homeschool.

In the beginning I would say “we will homeschool for as long as it works and will just take it one year at a time”. But this year we began to explore and learn many new things. God opened doors for us and our hearts to a much broader view. As homeschoolers, you quite often get questioned, stereotyped or ridiculed for your decision, and I didn't feel peace until I could answer the question myself as to WHY we homeschool. We choose to homeschool so that we are fully responsible in raising our children, and their education, so that we can teach them to love God and one day to be good husbands and fathers. The 3 R's (reading, writing and arithmetic) are very important and practiced everyday in our home, in the car or wherever we might be (and yes we use textbooks), but we truly believe what will bring them true success in their future is their faith, compassion for others, and the pure love for learning. It doesn't matter how many degrees you have behind your name if "happy" is not in front, that is not success. My hope is for the future of our children and their children’s children. Our homeschool is a journey; we have a vision and a destiny, and are in the process of navigating. So now when asked, how long do you plan to homeschool, I answer with “I hope we can homeschool to the end”. I know that circumstances change often, and I would not be bold enough to say that we will be homeschooling then, but I can honestly say that it’s something I ask God for everyday. Because of homeschooling, our family has grown so much in so many ways, but "together" is the way it has grown the most

No comments:

Post a Comment