Pages

Tuesday, June 9, 2009

I am weird and proud of it :)!

A recent conversation with some friends this week during VBS got me thinking about homeschooling and socialization again (to which I have made a new label with its name). I was asked what I did to "socialize" my boys.

But I got to thinking about it a little more and maybe realized a lot of what adults think about homeschooling now, is based on their memories as a child. They remember "those weird homeschooled kids", the same memory that my husband had in the beginning. But it's too bad so many people don't see how great homeschooling is these days, and how great it is for families. I wish every mom (and dad) in the world could experience one year of homeschooling with their child(ren). Knowing what I know now, I wish I would have been homeschooled.
The truth is, the main thing when it comes to being "weird" or not has more to do with genetics than your schooling. Weird kids aren't made "cool" when they go to public school, and "cool" kids aren't made weird when they are homeschooled.
I am not that old, but just in my time, I have seen times change so much. I think kids have always been picked on, even I was picked on at one point, by my "best friend", but I just could not imagine what its like today. I don't think kids have to be tortured to learn how to deal with difficult situations later in life. I think they are better equipped to handle difficult situations when they have a background of self esteem and love.
Oh well, just my opinion, and isn't that what blogging is all about anyway :)!


No comments:

Post a Comment