Pages

Friday, March 13, 2009

Hold tight, I am getting on the soapbox :)!!


Don't worry, I'll explain...


A few weeks ago, Jason and I took a marriage class. We got so much negative feedback, saying that we should not seek advice from anywhere, but the bible, yada yada yada. We didn't take the class because we were on the verge of divorce, we took the class to become knowledgeable on how to handle sticky situations that happen in every marriage. Running away from problems is much easier than solving them, but if that were to happen, what would we leave our children with?? Is that the way I want them to view marriage? NO!

Next up, "homeschool"... oh no, I can't believe we do such a thing!! What is up with the people that find out you homeschool and the first friggin thing they ask is "do you worry about them being socialized?" and "do you think they will be prepared for the real world?". C'mon people find something new to ask. I won't go on and on defending my choices on this, but I'll tell you, I've come to the conclusion that the people that ask these questions have no idea what the meaning of socialization is and maybe they are afraid of what homeschooled children will BE in the real world. I know of 40 years olds that graduated high school and still live at home with their parents? In our society, this is acceptable, but if the same person had been homeschooled, it would be all over the world news. Do you really know of someone who was homeschooled and couldn't function in the real world? If so, then you might have an argument.

Religion, oh yes I am going there! We started going to (and joined), in our heart, a very warm friendly, and knowledgeable church...a Southern Baptist Church. Oh yes, I said it- S-o-u-t-h-e-r-n Baptist. You know this is the church where people get drunk on Saturday and come in to church on Sunday. Amen. What I am wondering is why so many other religions have such issues with the SB? Is it because they were not taught the freedom of choice? Or maybe those people are afraid we might actually learn about the bible, because we don't waste time talking about what other churches are doing wrong...hum. I am not sure. But what I am sure of, is that I am happy with the decision and the friends that we made. The books and the disciples of the bible that we are learning, the lessons and scripture that Maximus is learning, and the Independence that baby River is learning. It is awesome! I want my boys to have the knowledge to know we are all the same, and they are free to go where their hearts can be fed, but to stay as clear as they can from a hypocrite.

Lastly, Dave Ramsey... I think you can probably guess why he is a subject. We are taking a Dave Ramsey class at church and you just cannot imagine the people that can't wait to tell what they read or heard about him and how he is just a hoax. What I want to know is, how do you get that? He tells you to save money and pay cash for everything- how can that be a hoax??? He also teaches paying off your debt using the snowball approach, paying off small debt first. I've been told 'Dave Ramsey is bad at math', because the math tells you its better and faster to pay off high interest first. And this is what I love to tell you... you are absolutely right and Dave Ramsey says it! But he is smart enough to know that its not about the math, he doesn't teach math, because if the millions and millions of people that are in credit card debt knew anything about math- they wouldn't be in debt, duh!!

I will be 30 in a few months and I am very sad to say that I am just learning what an IRA, Money Market and Mutual Funds are. I have learned how important it is to teach my kids, not only the value of a dollar, but the value of saving a dollar. I want my kids to be bred with the knowledge of Financial Peace.

Dave Ramsey is a Christian and teaches money management the way God intended. Again, there are a lot of people who don't agree with supplement teachings outside of the bible, and for those of you, I'd like to see you and Dave Ramsey side by side compete in a bible quiz. Ouch that hurt!

Okay I am off my soapbox, I think. But please, to those of you who find pleasure in being negative and find satisfaction in criticizing, please think of what you are really saying...about yourself!

1 comment:

  1. You’re exactly right!!! Psychologists say these are some reasons that some people talk bad about others and why they gossip…..bitterness, hostility, anger, resentment, low self-esteem and the desire to pull others around them down to their level, pride [self-importance (their self-importance)], purposeful attempt to destroy or malign someone - motivated by jealousy.

    Obviously, someone you know has some real issues.

    I can’t imagine why anyone would be negative toward a couple that has made a conscience decision to make their marriage stronger and is creating a tight family unit; has taken a proactive approach in their children’s education, is establishing a firm Christian foundation and are working toward a debt free life.

    Someone is extremely jealous of you.

    Good luck with the under-educated, gossipy, and resentful people in your life.

    Better yet, get some new people in your life. The kind of people that have similar goals and beliefs that you do so you can move forward with positive reinforcement instead of always having to explain yourself and being pulled down to a place where they're just stagnating.

    ReplyDelete