Pages

Thursday, August 20, 2009

Kids and Television

This is a subject brought up often by homeschool families. There are so many families that I have met who do not even own a TV, much less monitor it.
Although, we do not fall into this same category, we/I still have a funky taste for the tube.
I was raised on the tube, it was on day and night and I lived in a house of silence, so when Jason and I got married one of my only requests is that we wouldn't turn it on until after dinner, giving us plenty of time for conversation, since the lack of is the #1 cause for divorce.
Well, I think I contradict myself on this subject. I love TV, and love to watch a good murder case, cooking show or just some plain family comedy; King of Queens and Fresh Prince of Belaire are my favorites or who doesn't still enjoy some oldies like The Golden Girls, or Mama on Mama's Family and Fred on Sanford and Son, but I think too much is a humongous waste of time, although since having kids we don't have much time for it any way...
But besides it being a waste of time, I have noticed that when my 6 yo isn't sitting in front of the tube, he is very creative and his imagination sparks. So I must recognize that its not about unplugging or monitoring, its about self-control; too much of [almost] anything is not a good thing. One episode of SpongeBob cannot be nowhere near as dangerous as not even knowing who he is or hours upon hours of PBS kids.
So my opinion is, just be real!

On a different note, I often wonder what will my boys be like when they have their own families. Looking back at generations, my dad nor my mom grew up with endless hours of tube (not much choice with only 3 channels, rabbit ears and having to get up to change the channel), both Jason and I were raised with it never turning off (staticky or not), and as parents, with endless clear channels and a remote control, we "monitor" time instead of material...hmmm.

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed stopping by your blog. I'm a homeschool mom too.

    ReplyDelete