Pages

Thursday, April 23, 2009

To Test or Not to Test

Quite frequently I get asked "do you test your son?"
First let me say that I will do whatever the law requires and am not afraid of doing so, but as far as what we do at home, NO I don't give tests. As a child/student, I've taken many test and made mostly A's, some B's, but I learned very little and I believe its because tests have little to do with learning. Because of the large classes/single teacher ratio, the teacher couldn't monitor each student's progress, and so ta-da the test was invented.
Being able to work with my son one on one, I know how he is doing. What would a test prove? Maybe it would make me feel better- maybe it would even give me some bragging rights or maybe it would make me feel bad if he failed. Either way, it has very little to do with what he has learned.


So, for what it's worth from this education rebel . . . leave the testing to those who don't know, and instead enjoy your position of knowing.

Happy Homeschooling!!

No comments:

Post a Comment