Pages

Wednesday, July 29, 2009

My Summer picks


While I was walking through the bookstore, my eye caught this book. I could just tell by the cover that it was about homeschool and when I flipped it over and read the back cover my suspicions were right :)!
I find it interesting to see what the real world thinks of homeschoolers so I had to have it!
Capricorn Anderson had never watched a television show before. He'd never tasted a pizza. He had never even heard of a wedgie. Since he was little, his only experience has been living on a farm and being homeschooled by his hippie Grandmother, Rain. In the first part of the book, Cap is arrested for driving his Grandmother to the hospital after she fell out of a tree. He of course, can't really understand the problem, he's 13 and has been driving on the farm since he was 8! Yep, just another normal homeschooler!
So while Rain goes into the hospital to recover Cap is sent off to public school.
But, here is the fun part of the book for me. Instead of Cap failing in "society", he thrives! Even being homeschooled in a remote and unusual way he does fine in the long run. Having had the time and freedom to explore life in his early years really pays off. Even when the powers that be in the school are trying to sabotage him he is able to rise above their games. Love it!! A must read for homeschoolers (and their moms :))!!

No comments:

Post a Comment